Does money create emptiness in our lives?

Started by Anastasia, 11 April 2022, 16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Anastasia

The Dutch psychoanalyst Manfred Kets de Vries, in his book "Sex, Money, Happiness and Death: In Search of Yourself", states: "For many of us, money has become the meaning of life ... People who are indifferent to money are suspected of hypocrisy and they talk about their contempt for wealth, then they reveal only part of the truth, but in reality they despise only other people's wealth ... i.e. trying to suppress jealousy...

And the more money we have, the more we want ... However, sooner or later, most of us realize that there is nothing more precious than life ... Would you like to be the richest in the cemetery? ... Riddle: it is undesirable to be a beggar, but to feel rich and satisfied with life, money alone is not enough."

The researcher emphasizes that a huge passion for material wealth makes people strive for possession, and not for life.

Money for us is "getting rid of the poverty or dullness of existence, freedom from family pressure, the path to independence and power, free time ..., gaining a sense of self-respect and love."

Kets de Vries concludes: "We must find ways to acquire and spend money that are consistent with our subjective sense of well-being and our value and belief systems. Otherwise... the money will cost us too much."

This conclusion of Kets de Vries is consonant with the thought of B. Franklin that "money has not yet made anyone and will not make anyone happy; the more a person has, the more he wants; instead of filling a void, money creates it."

Do you agree with the statements of Kets de Vries? Why? How not to lose yourself and a fulfilling life in an effort to get rich?

Anton

Sometimes it happens that money comes, but you don't feel any joy from it.
Of course, I agree with the idea of Kets, I myself have never had this happen. And here's how to get rid of such a feeling ... If only there was some kind of FORMULA!

Anastasia

Anton, just on your question: researchers in this group https://t.me/money_institute
Anyone can join and contribute to the study!

Julia

Not everything can be solved with money, a fact!
But with money, life is more fun and comfortable, you can bring a lot of benefits to society.

Anton

I agree Julia! And the more money, the more fun and comfortable

Olesya

Quote from: Julia on 18 April 2022, 12:27Not everything can be solved with money, a fact!
But with money, life is more fun and comfortable, you can bring a lot of benefits to society.
Let me know what is invested in the term "more fun"? Is it a journey-knowledge-development or family-relationships-children, or "$ex-drugs-rock-&-roll? After all, every "word" can benefit someone... And there is someone who will call it meaning/high /life itself.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview